As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Favorite Marriage and Relationship Resources
Some of my couples counseling clients ask me what are some resources resources that I can recommend. There are times when clients have long wait times for an initial session, or they have may not be able to get regularly scheduled sessions due to financial issues, work, or other scheduling concerns. The following marriage and relationship resources provide a snapshot of what I believe are some of the most helpful books, websites, and podcasts available to help you improve your relationship while in counseling or waiting to receive help.
- He also has an app for iphones and ipads that has come out called “Gottman Card Decks.” They can be helpful with working through some of the exercises in his book. Get the app HERE.
- Gary Chapman helps couples figure our their “love languages” so they can serve each other better. Get the 5 Love Languages book HERE on Amazon.
- Dr. Eggerichs wrote his book Love and Respect about the Biblical view of marriage through the eyes of the verse, Ephesians 5:33. Get it HERE on Amazon.
- Lately I have really enjoyed podcasts on marriage. They are free and you can listen to them anywhere.
- A few years ago a movie called The Love Dare came out. I really like the idea of serving your wife, not just when the marriage is on the rocks, but always. It provides fodder for the failing or flourishing marriage.
Communication is key in any relationship. This list of communication books for married couples is a great starter kit, which includes another great book by Gary Chapman called Now You Are Speaking My Language. Get it HERE on Amazon.
Also, this marriage communication podcast by Dr. Gary Smalley is very helpful for couples to learn productive and practical ways to communicate.
- A book series that has really helped me understand differences between husbands and wives that is backed up by the author’s own research is a great resource. Read this series by Shaunti Feldhan to improve your relationship with your spouse through increasing your understanding of the other person’s biology. Check them out on Amazon here: For Men Only and For Women Only.
- Biology in humans is important. Knowing biology helps to understand how a person works. Author John Gray wrote a book a long time ago that explained in lay-mans terms, as best he could at the time, how men and women are different. Recently, he came out with a new book that provides data from research that backs up his previous statements called Beyond Mars and Venus. Check it out HERE on Amazon.
- Dr. William Harley, Jr. wrote a book called His Needs, Her Needs in 1989 which is still relevant today. He teaches that a couple needs to “deposit love units into each other’s love bank” by learning each other’s needs and meeting those needs. He also provides a ton of marriage resources on his website.
MORE FAVORITES WILL BE POSTED! STAY TUNED!
Brandoncoussenslmft.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.